Storify 2015 is ready and out
The best bits of media and press coverage all compiled in one location!
Top 3 Videos Now on Youtube
Watch the top 3 performances of Air Guitar World Championships 2015 at www.youtube.com/worldairguitar!
In 20th Year of Competition, Russia Wins First Ever Air Guitar World Championship
Kereel ”Your Daddy” Blumenkrants was crowned the first-ever Russian Air Guitar World Champion tonight in Oulu, Finland at the 20th Anniversary of the event, which promotes world peace. The competition was extremely tight and it came down to a thrilling 3rd-round Air Off between Your Daddy and Matt ”Airistotle” Burns from the United States. The two also happen to be friends from opposite ends of the world who met each other through the annual worldwide competition, illustrating the message of brotherhood that the Air Guitar World Championships has spread for 20 years.
Here is the final results for the 20th Anniversary Air Guitar World Championships:
1. Kereel “Your Daddy” Blumenkrants 34,8 (RU) (17,8)
2. Matt “Airistotle” Burns 34,8 (US) (17,5)
3. Michael “Operation Rock a Pussy” Lovely (US) 34,1
4. Nanami “Seven Seas” Nagura 34,0 (JP)
5. Tom “The Sweaty Fury” Trevisan (IT) 33,6
6. Junichi “Jun Jun” Kamada 33,5 (JP)
7. Sabrina “Lady Liberty” Schramm (DE) 33,4
8. Jeffrey “The Airtiste” Stiles (US) 33,2
9. Beth “CindAirella” Melin (US) 33,0
10. Eero “Oulu’s Own Son” Ojala (FI) 32,8
11. Thom “w!ld th!ng” Wilding (UK) 32,7
12. Emmanuelle “Miss Issippy” Stempniakowski (BE) 16,4
13. Jason “Thrust” McNeely (CA) 16,2
14. Zac “The Magnet” Monro (UK) 16,1
14. Patrick “Ehrwolf” Culek (DE) 16,1
16. Ilmars “Hell Machine” Auzins (LV) 15,7
16. Sita “Guilty Director” van Sante (NL) 15,7
High quality press photos can be found on Media Gallery at http://www.airguitarworldchampionships.com/en/press/media-gallery/.
PERFORMANCE ORDER OF THE AIR GUITAR WORLD FINAL
The 20th edition of the Air Guitar World Championships hits full throttle tonight in Oulu, Finland. The Rotuaari Square gets to witness an anniversary show with 17 most talented airtists in the international Air Guitar scene: seven national champions, the nine luckiest Dark Horses’ from the last night’s qualifiers as well as the reigning world champion Nanami “Seven Seas” Nagura of Japan.
The show starts at 7.30 p.m. (EET) and will be streamed alive at www.kaleva.fi/ilmakitara.
Here’s the performance order for the World Final 2015:
1. Zac “The Magnet” Monro, Dark Horse 2015, the United Kingdom
2. Beth “CindAirella” Melin, Dark Horse 2015, the United States
3. Jeffrey “The Airtiste” Stiles, Dark Horse 2015, the United States
4. Thom “w!ld th!ng” Wilding , Dark Horse 2015, the United Kingdom
5. Patrick “Ehrwolf” Culek, Dark Horse 2015, Germany
6. Kereel “Your Daddy” Blumenkrants, Dark Horse 2015, Russia
7. Michael “Operation Rock a Pussy” Lovely, Dark Horse 2015, the United States
8. Tom “Tom the Sweaty Fury” Trevisan, Dark Horse 2015, Italy
9. Eero “Oulu’s Own Son” Ojala, Dark Horse 2015, Finland
10. Sabrina “Lady Liberty” Schramm, the German Champion 2015
11. Ilmars “Hell Machine” Auzins, the Latvian Champion 2015
12. Nanami “Seven Seas” Nagura, the World Champion 2014, Japan
13. Matt “Airistotle” Burns, the US Champion 2015
14. Jason “Thrust” McNeely, the Canadian Champion 2015
15. Junichi “Jun Jun” Kamada, the Japanese Champion 2015
16. Emmanuelle “Miss Issippy” Stempniakowski, the Belgian Champion 2015
17. Sita “Guilty Director” van Sante, the Dutch Champion 2015
… And please meet our jury for tonight!
Head of the Jury Juha Torvinen
Air Guitar World Champions Eric “Mean” Melin (2013) and Markus Vainionpää (2000)
National organizers Aline Westphal (Germany) and Lisa Farnan (US)
NINE DARK HORSES GO THROUGH TO THE WORLD FINAL
The record-breaking 30 Dark Horses battled over the last spots in the Air Guitar World Championships Qualifying Round in Oulu, Northern Finland on Thursday 27 August. The highest scores were given to American Michael “Operation Rock a Pussy” Lovely. The second best scores were shared by his country fellow Jeffrey “The Airtiste” Stiles (US) and Russian Kereel “Your Daddy” Blumenkrants.
Dark Horses Qualifiying Round, Top Nine Contestants
1. Michael “Operation Rock a Pussy” Lovely (US) 17.5
2. Jeffrey “The Airtiste” Stiles (US) 17.4
2. Kereel “Your Daddy” Blumenkrants (RU) 17.4
4. Beth “CindAirella” Melin (US) 17.3
5. Patrick “Ehrwolf” Culek (DE) 17.2
5. Tom “The Sweaty Fury” Trevisan (IT) 17.2
7. Zac “The Magnet” Monro (UK) 17.1
8. Eero “Oulun oma poika” Ojala (FI) 16.9
8. Thom “w!ld th!ng” Wilding (UK) 16.9
10. Joel “Soul L” Holma (FI) 16.8
10. Jan “Geeky Gisbert” Fischer (DE) 16.8.
12. Jason “Lt. Facemelter” Farnan (US) 16.7.
12. Daniel “Moredrive” Oldemeier (DE) 16.7
14. Mitsuaki “Inogami Koushou” Inoue (JP) 16.5
15. Tom “Sgt. Wrecker” Hill (AU) 16.4
16. Robert “The Marquis” Messel (US) 16.3
17. Mathias “Numatic” Mertens (DE) 16.1
17. Justin “Iron Dragon” Fox (US) 16.1
19. Philipp “Initial D” Dobuzhinskiy (RU) 16.0
19. Kara “Kara Picante” Muir (US) 16.0
21. Del-Kun Dave “G. Tso Money” Chen (TW) 15.9
21. Guy “The Bandit” Thompson (UK) 15.9.
23. Troy “Random Air Guitar Man” Barrett (AU) 15.8
24. Charles “Facemolester” Muir (US) 15.6
25. Howard Lo (TW) 15.5
26. Valya “Electric Butterfly” Urm (RU) 15.3
27. Marie “Chuck Airy” Von Borstel (DE) 15.2
27. Merlin “Airlectic Shock” Schumacher (DE) 15.2
29. Fred “French Kiss” Reau (FR) 15.1
30. Sonya “Salmiakki Tears” Goria (RU) 15.0
The jury included previous world champions Justin ”Nordic Thunder” Howard and Sylvain ”Günther Love” Quimene, local Airhead Jarkko Halunen and two National Championships' organizers of the AGWC Network: Alexander Gott from Russia and Tim Evans from Canada.
High quality photos of the Qualification winners can be found on Media Gallery.
Performance Order of Tonight’s Dark Horse’ Qualifying Round Is Out!
The Air Guitar World Championships’ qualifying round for the challengers of the national champions and the reigning world champion will be competed tonight in Oulu, Finland. The competition at the rock club 45 Special starts at 10.30 EET.
Tonight a record 30 competitors will try for one of eight spots in tomorrow’s World Finals. Also performing is two-time world champ Zac “The Magnet” Monro, who will be competing for the first time since 2002!
Tune in for more news around midnight!
1. Fred “French Kiss” Reau, FR
2. Jason “Lt. Facemelter” Farnan, US
3. Marie “Chuck Airy” von Borstel, DE
4. Guy “The Bandit” Thompson, GB
5. Kereel “Your Daddy” Blumenkrants, RU
6. Zac “The Magnet” Monro, GB
7. Robert “The Marquis” Messel, US
8. Del-Kun Dave “G. Tso Money” Chen, US
9. Valya “Electric Butterfly” Urm, RU
10. Sonya “Salmiakki Tears” Goria, RU
11. Jeffrey “The Airtiste” Stiles, US
12. Daniel “Moredrive” Oldemeier, DE
13. Eero “Oulu’s Own Son” Ojala, FI
14. Kara “Kara Picante” Muir, US
15. Tom “Tom the Sweaty Fury” Trevisan, IT
16. Charles “Facemolester” Muir, US
17. Justin “Iron Dragon” Fox, US
18. Michael “Operation Rock a Pussy” Lovely, US
19. Merlin “Airlectic Shock” Schumacher, DE
20. Troy “Random Air Guitar Man” Barrett, AU
21. Howard Lo, TW
22. Joel “Soul L” Holma, FI
23. Jan “Geeky Gisbert” Fischer, DE
24. Tom ”Sgt. Wrecker” Hill, AU
25. Mathias “Numatic” Mertens, DE
26. Thom “w!ild th!ng” Wilding , GB
27. Patrick “Ehrwolf” Culek, DE
28. Mitsuaki “Inogami Koushou” Inoue, JP
29. Philipp “Initial D” Dobuzhinskiy, RU
30. Beth “CindAirella” Melin, US
Please Meet Our Jury for Tonight:
Head of the Jury Jarkko Halunen
Air Guitar World Champions Justin "Nordic Thunder" Howard (2012) and Sylvain "Günther Love" Quimene (2009-2010)
National organizers Alexander Gott (Russia) and Tim Evans (Canada)
First ever Latvian National Champion
Meet Latvia's first National Champion Ilmars Auzinš! He won the finals at the Summer Sound festival held in Liepaja 10th and 11th July. We are excited to see the first ever Latvian participation during our #AIRGUITAR20 celebrations!
Check the pictures from the festival in the post.
#AIRGUITAR20 PHOTOSHOP CONTEST - ROUND TWO!
It is time for the second round of #AirGuitar20 Photoshop Contest!
The winner of the first round was Andrew 'Flying Finn' Finn. Check the post to see the winning picture and the prize he got!
On this round our Airness Airbrush muse will be Keisuke the Ninja, who came in as a Dark Horse and placed 4th in the World Finals last year.
German Champion - Lady liberty
German champion has been crowned and it is no one else than Lady Liberty for the second time in a row!
We are proud to present our newest member in the Air Guitar family, Latvia!
Latvia will hold the first National Championships during the LMT Summer Sound Festival in Liepaja during 10th and 11th of August.
More info, in Latvian, can be found on event's Facebook page.
See you there!
#AirGuitar20 Photoshop Contest - Win Big!
2013 US Air Guitar champ Lt. Facemelter challenges you to create your own funny image.
The air guitar community is like family. And as such, family will poke fun at one another from time to time. So when we’re not busy shredding on stage, or painfully editing our next track to a perfect 60 seconds, we fire up a batch of sarcasm and head to social media to keep the fun going.
Dutch Champion - Literally Guilty Director
10th Dutch Air Guitar Championships were hosted in De Melkweg in Amsterdam and received wide press attention.
Sita ‘The Guilty Director’ van Sante (32) became the first female Dutch Air Guitar Champion. Her stagename says it all; as a theatrical director, she is working on a stageplay in which an air guitar player plays an important role. She asked her actors to participate, but also agreed to take part herself, hence ‘The Guilty Director’. In the qualifying round she came in third. After that, she wanted to go all the way for the title. With a mash up of songs ranging from ‘Wooly Bully’ by Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs to ‘No One Knows’ by Queens of the Stone Age, she blew away the judges by her performance, creativity and skills. The voting of the judges was unanimous. She works in Amsterdam and has two children.
Pictures of the final can be found at the Dutch Air Guitar facebook page!
20th Anniversary Trailer: Nothing wrong with being an idiot
To celebrate the 20 years of strong emotions and general weirdness, we published a video that shows some of the most unfogettable feedback Air Guitar World Championships has received in the past. Also check the Buzzfeed's take on the subject.
AIR GUITAR STAMP CELEBRATES THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY
The Finnish post office Posti issues a stamp to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the Air Guitar World Championships!
The Air Guitar World Championships is a tradition with a history spanning two decades. Champion league Air Guitarists can be seen again on August 26-28th, when both veterans and rising stars gather together to Oulu. To join the anniversary party, Posti launches a local stamp presenting the current Air Guitar World Champion, Japanese Nanami 'Seven Seas' Nagura.
The stamp is on the market only for limited time - make sure you get your own! The stamp can be purchased in most postal outlets in Oulu; in addition, the stamp is available in Posti’s shops in Raahe, Kajaani, Kuusamo, Kemi, Rovaniemi and Tornio. You can also order the stamp online by selecting its image for the Customised stamp (theme: local stamps).
More info on Posti's web site.
20th Anniversary Party in August
Ladies and gentlemen - Get ready for some good old party time! The 20th Air Guitar World Championships will be celebrated in Oulu, Finland on 26-28 August.
The anniversary party rocks out with the world's top air guitarists as well as the champion league comedians. The festival begins with We Will Dub You musical comedy by the beloved Airnadette that comes from France and blows your brain out with pure awesomeness. It's been a while since the French entertainers has been seen at AGWC, but finally we get them back home. See more info on the program here.
The Dark Horses' Qualifying Round entry is now also open. If you don't have official championships in your country or someone whooped your bum at the nationals - This is your chance. The Dark Horses round is held in Oulu on 27th August.
Like always, the festival culminates in the fierce battle and celebration of peace, love and airness - The World Final. World Final is held at Rotuaari square on Friday 28th August.
See you in August!
The Season 2015 Begins
On this beautiful Thursday it begins: The 20th season of Air Guitar World Championships!
The season is opened by the US Air Guitar Championships that will held its first qualifier in New York City. The contest is hosted by SingeCut Beersmiths in Astoria. The event is free for the audience, and the contestants can sign up on EventBrite.
The party continues at the end of this month in Canada where the championships battle starts with the Kingston Qualifier on March 28.
May the Airness be with you all - Let's make this season the best one ever!